Tuesday, March 15, 2005

About The Retrospect

Retrospect (As defined on http://www.dictionary.com)
n.
1) A review, survey, or contemplation of things in the past.
v.
2) To contemplate the past.
3) To refer back.

4) To look back on or contemplate (things past).

My blog contained nothing about the horror of the Asian tsunamis. (Well... Not till now anyway.) Why? I could say that it's cos I only started blogging well after the disaster occured, but that wouldn't be the whole truth...

In a nutshell? I avoided the topic because I couldn't deal.

The deaths and the destruction, everything translated into almost overwhelming feelings of sorrow and anger within me. I couldn't find the strength to handle those emotions... So it was easier, albeit cowardly, to make my donations and then avoid as much of the media coverage of the catastrophe and it's terrible aftermath as possible.

So why bring it up now?

Dad might have to take on a job for a UN relief agency handling an Acheh restoration project. He's 57 years old. I cried when he told me. He showed me photos of what had to be done if he got the job. I cried even more.


Over 125,000 dead and 450,000 displaced in Indonesia alone. More than double that number when you pool figures from the other countries. 3 months after that dark, dark day and we're still nowhere close to repairing the damage that's been done.

If all that's happened isn't an indication that God doesn't exist, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

missduhr said...

it never ceases to amaze me that people who don't believe in the existence in God... just love to blame God for bad things that happen.

April said...

If I blamed the Almighty, I'd have said something like "It just proves that God's got more important things on his mind, like catching the next episode of "Survivor", than the lives of thousands."

I will say this though. If I'm wrong, and God does exist, (Hah! 1 more strike against you April, and you've already got an Economy Class, 1-way ticket to the Land of No Return!) I'd like to hear his side of the story.