Tuesday, March 01, 2005

About Bad English

I'm sitting at home on a Tuesday afternoon instead of flouncing around the office. Why? I'm in a twisted mass of pain because I wrenched my back so badly, I tear every time I get up from my chair to go to the loo. As a result, I'm extremely bored, extremely grumpy and feeling extremely bitchy.

Which means I have little choice but to bring up how appalled I am at the English capabilities (or the lack thereof!) that we have to deal with, even in this day and age, when the fucking language is taught to us from the day we step into kindergarten as snot-faced 4 year old brats.

Which is also why I feel compelled to share with the rest of you, the most horrendous paragraph of English I've had the dubious pleasure of reading since... Well... Ever! Names have been removed (I'm not that nasty) but I took this from a friend's list of testimonials on Friendster.

"My dear.....I'm really happy when we together with u, i know u treat me gd n care of me thanks my dear...u going back (name of country removed) soon i really dun wan u go back but i know u mus go back to continue ur studies.Waiting me abt 5 months, I will be there on July.Even though u forgot already but i still wan to tell u something --- I'm sorry ---"


I mean... Commmmmmme onnnnnnn! Bad enough that the person who wrote this thinks it's fit to be posted on an international website where anybody can read it... Even worse that the person it's meant for actually thinks the damn testimonial is an accolade worthy of approving.

"I'm really happy when we together with u..." - Who's we? Lucky bastard has a girlfriend who's willing to share apparently... Oh wait. Sorry. She must've meant "I'm really happy when we're together. I'm really happy when I'm with you."
"U going back (name of country removed) soon i really dun wan u go back but i know u mus go back to continue ur studies..." - Amazing. She used "go back" 3 times in 1 freaking sentence.
"Waiting me abt 5 months, I will be there on July." - Words desert me. Truly.

I've been told before that I have a superiority complex. Which is suppose to be bad. I think it also means that I shouldn't sneer at morons who can't master a language they speak, listen to and work with on a daily basis. Oh fuck it, I'm never gonna pass that bloody test. I'll admit it then. I have a superiority complex. I think anyone who can't speak proper English isn't worth having in my social circle.

Much better to be thought of as a stand-offish, self-righteous, uptight, stuck up bitch than to make myself tolerate idiocy, the likes of which have been shown above. The only Bad English one should ever have to listen to are the strains of "When I See You Smile" playing on one's iPod.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I is go spending my MC time rest in my bed.

7 comments:

missduhr said...

you have issues sista!

anyways can you go and have something done about your back? see a specialist/hypnotist/guru swami/whatever and just get it fixed!

rest up muaks.

April said...

I do not have issues. The people who can write a paragraph like that have issues. Major ones. Like a huuuuuuge, gaping cavity where their brains should be. :P

April said...

By the way, seeing that the idiot doctors I've seen can't seem to fix my back (All they can tell me is "Go see a sinseh!". Like DUH!), would you have a guru swami to recommend? Gimme his email, would you? Haha...

bee said...

OMG, i absolutely know what you mean...it's atrocious ain't it? friendster's real funny cos of those people...hey they're keeping you entertained aren't they my dear? hahaha

April said...

Bee - Well, at least these people are giving me something to rant about in my blog... Heh... Stuff like this is all I need to support my ever-growing angst about the world we live in. Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

this is a visitor who chanced upon this site. i thought it was quite interesting until i saw this post... something which i didn't quite agreed with...

Let me start by saying this.

I do not know you and have nothing against you personally...

secondly, i have nothing against english. i am in fact re-learning and brushing up my english...

you said :

' I think anyone who can't speak proper English isn't worth having in my social circle. '

how about the other way round...

People who can't speak proper, use good Mandrain vocabs and grammar isn't worth my attention.

You said : ...Which means I have little choice but to bring up how appalled I am at the English capabilities (or the lack thereof!) that we have to deal with, even in this day and age, when the fucking language is taught to us from the day we step into kindergarten as snot-faced 4 year old brats.

Pardon me, but then , since day 1, you are a chinese, aren't you ?! then why aren't you better in mandrain ? ... your roots ?

Please be mindful that, people are bought up from different family settings ,backgrounds.. Each one of us were bought up differently...
i got to admit the direct mandrain translated english paragraph were really laughable and awful...

but, in my opinion, your comments lacks of depth in thoughts. just what is 'not worth your social circles ?'

how much is that worth of urs anyway ?

so, you think english is a damn High class issue...

i deduced you came from an english speaking family, watching english dramas , films most of the time, surrounding with plentiful english speaking friends and associates.

you were fortunate enough to be bought up with english as a communication medium most of the time. language is something u use it or lose it.
Lucky you , but what about the mass of others who have little opportunities ? at work and home to learn proper english...when they are compelled to learn and to use 'pollutalised' english. is that their fault?

have you ever taught maybe it's the damn singapore- singlish culture, home settings, or maybe for others, it's a matter of choice?

you 'eat potatoes...' ya. so ? very big deal, that is ?

not a so-call chi-na person. but i have always give myself some credit for being more predominate in mandrain language.

i have english speaking friends who is very proficient in the language. and we have no problems with one another. in fact, i have a great capacity to laugh at myself.

Likewise, for people around the world too. i don't understand swedish ? Is the language police going to arrest for me that being 'lowly' classed ???

We shouldn't narrow life down because of that...

no doubt this is your blog and you are free to write anything u like.

and yes, i just can't contain the strong thoughts after reading it...

skyblue

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... gmc pod How often should you take levitra low priced homeowner insurance quotes vikings river cruises Water beds service repair White sluts gangbangs black cocks Queen lyrics fat bottomed girls Headache high blood pressure Blowjob gay Free roulette wheel pictures Lesbians teens nude Bookkeeping expresscom http://www.freeparishiltonvideo.info/Lesbian.html Speck lady pda case Lesbians rubbing pussys together List lowfat2c low cholesterol foods Open source mexico