Wednesday, August 10, 2005

About The Pearl (Part 2)

As promised, here's the photo journal of my Hong Kong trip. Heh... Unfortunately, since PL and I are both certified camera whores, it's taking me forever to resize the pics... Which means I'll hafta upload the files in batches.

DAY 1 - THURSDAY, 4 AUGUST, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I was so bored on the flight up, I started watching my toenails grow. Which wasn't a bad way to pass the time, since I'd just gotten a pretty french pedicure. Heh...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
PL evidently thought toenail watching was a pretty cool form of entertainment, since she decided to join in. To the bemusement of the ah-mah (Meaning old lady...) sitting next to us, we happily spent the last half hour of our flight snapping pictures of our wriggling toes. :P

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Finally, 11.15am, we touch down at Hong Kong International Airport... Read my post on how we spent the rest of our 1st day in the Pearl of the Orient
here...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

DAY 2 - FRIDAY, 5 AUGUST, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On the hotel's shuttle bus to Causeway Bay...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
PL revealed an obsession with maps that lasted throughout our holiday...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Totally amused at PL's anal retentiveness, I yanked her in for a shot of the both of us as we took the elevator down to the train station... By the way, I love my new pink-tinted sunnies, even though they're so Jessica-Simpson-Wannabe-ish. :P

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We thought it'd be cool to mark our trip with shots of all the train stations we commuted between. #1 - Tung Low Wan aka Causeway Bay. A place that screamed Gu Wak Zhai (A slang meaning gangster guy...) since I was a fan of those damn "Young & Dangerous" movies. Hehehe.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
#2 - Sham Shui Po. Home to all the wholesalers of the fashion and apparel industry.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Despite the numerous shops and stalls, Sham Shui Po was quite a letdown. Most places - those that were willing to sell us singular pieces of clothes - required us to place orders for what we wanted, and no one allowed us to try anything on.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
How the heck do you buy jeans without trying them on?! PL managed to. I left with nothing more than a couple of belts. Tired from the horrendously humid heat, we stopped for a quick cigarette before we zipped off to our next shopping destination.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
You know the problem when it's just 2 people travelling? You end up taking a lot of those "mesh-your-faces-together-and-hold-the-camera-in-front-of-you" type of photos. Look at PL's sunnies'... Her arms stretched out in front of her made her look like she's got beams growing outta her eyes. *snorts*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I was kinda impressed with the techie and funky decor of this Chinese tea shop... Looks more suited to a Prescriptives or Clinique counter, don't you think?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
#3 - Tsim Sha Tsui.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We spent an hour wandering around... Ok, ok, we got kinda lost! Thankfully, PL and her ever-present map (Actually, she had at least 4 maps in her bag at any 1 time!) helped us find the street we were looking for. Lotsa funky shops and eateries. Lotsa money spent.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
For some reason, I found this huge billboard kinda spastic. I mean, what the hell does "Jackie Chan Sport" mean? Kung fu? *rolls eyes*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
8 solid hours of shopping later, we decide to head back for a swim and to prepare for a nice night out.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
#4 - Tin Hau. The train station that was across the street from our hotel. Just as well, since I was pooped!
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I found out that the only way to make it seem that I have a cleavage when I'm wearing my bikini is... To squish my boobs together when taking a picture. :P Hah!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Night view of the Hong Kong skyline, taken from the rooftop pool at our hotel. We enjoyed a similar view from our room... I can't even begin to describe what a kick it was to be able to fling open the curtains and be greeted by such a sight. :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Omigawd. I posted up this shot for 1 reason and 1 reason alone. I look so damn toned! It's like I have muscles! Hahaha...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
These floaties belonged to a little Italian girl learning how to swim. I thought they were kinda cute and tried to persuade PL into stealing em before we ran off to the sauna.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
She was, however, too busy lolling around in the jacuzzi, pretending to be a prawn being boiled in a steamboat... Yes, my best friend has a warped sense of humour sometimes.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The bloody sauna turned out to be a little wooden box with a very biiiiiig coal oven. We lasted all of 10 minutes before we tumbled out huffing and panting from the heat.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The heat affected us more than I thought, because we started making alien faces into the lens and blinding ourselves with the camera flash...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Isn't it amazing how similar people can look when their facial features are blurred out by blinding white light? :P
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
PL and I then proceeded to shower and doll ourselves up for a night out on the town. Don't we look pweeeeeeeety? *grin*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
#6 - Central. The heart of Hong Kong's CBD. After a very tiring hike up a very steep road, we found ourselves at...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Lan Kwai Fong. Apparently the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately, lots of other people thought so too, since every single place we passed was packed to the brim. A couple of hot, sweaty roundabouts later, we decided to walk down and look for a club called Drop... Which,
according to this website, was at 39 to 43 Hollywood Road.

20 frustrating minutes later, PL and I found ourselves staring incredulously at a Chinese medical hall with that same address. Wtf?!?!?! We gave up. As I was ready to kill for a Lychee Martini, we settled for a funky, quiet pub called Lush.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Which turned out to be a pretty good choice since we both got kinda smashed. 5 Lychee Martinis later, we stumbled out and treated ourselves to a cheese-filled, half-foot long hot dog each. *burrrrrrrp*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We giggled the entire trip back. So much so, I think we distracted the cabbie with our babbling... He ended up missing our hotel totally so we had to walk about 100m to get back. Not that we minded. The Lychee Martinis in our system made everything good and fun. *cackle* :P

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Even this stupid tree growing sideways and blocking the entire pavement was funny in my alcohol-induced euphoria.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Hotel, sweet hotel. Woooooooot!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
1 more shot... Of our reflections in the lift before we collapse for the day. Talk about packing a shitload into a single day huh? Can... you... imagine... what... the... rest... of... our... trip... was... like?

Zzzzzz...

5 comments:

Ignorant one said...

itz fun travelling with a friend.. oh my gawk, u make me wanna throw in my entire fortune just to get there.

ok, even my entire fortune also not enough. poor student -.-"

April said...

Ignorant One - Start saving now and go after Hong Kong Disneyland opens in September? Heh...

Anonymous said...

There aren't enough bikini shots in this here entry. C'mon woman, you know you want to ;)

*chants*bee-kee-nee ... bee-kee-nee ... bee-kee-nee ...*chants*

April said...

Jules - Hang in there girl... Your holiday will come soon enough. *hugs*

Chi - Perv. I am SO not flashing my fats for the world to see. :P

Unknown said...

The "you are here" sign on the map maciam like middle finger. kekeke....