Tuesday, August 02, 2005

About My Furballs

Slinky's most recent post on all the adorable little furballs she encountered during her recent Bangkok trip had me gushing like a sap for at least 15 minutes. (Side note to Slinky: I applaud your self-control babe... If I were you, I probably would've beaned The Boy on his head and smuggled 1 of em pups back in his suitcase...)

Her post also reminded me how much I miss my own doggies... *sniff*

I was 16 when my parents bought my brother and I our best birthday presents ever. 2 little furballs, barely 8 weeks old... 1 golden, the other a splotchy mix of white and honey colored fur... I've seen tons of cute dogs since but nothing, nothing, has come close to those tiny English Cocker Spaniels who so cleverly stole my heart the minute they were set down before me at the pet store. I mean... Look at this face...

It'd take a heart of stone to resist it... Me... I just turned into a big, soggy, sappy cooing mess. That's Scamper, the rascal of the 2. Scooter, his sweet-natured brother, looked exactly the same but he was a golden hue from head to toe.

My 2 babies brought me so much joy the entire time I had them. Even when they chewed up my furniture and my school books, peed on my bed linen and mangled my clothes, just looking at their doleful faces and their stubby waggy tails made me laugh and laugh...

Giving them up when we were forced to move into a HDB flat was 1 of the most painful things I've ever done. I cried for 3 days after we left them at my aunt's... I cried every time I went to visit and it was time to head home... I cried when Scamper ran away and we failed to find him after a 3-day search... I cried when Scooter had to be put down last year due to liver failure...

A cartoon I watched as a kid promised that all dogs go to heaven. I hope that's true... I hope both my babies are living the good life in some bone-lined, biscuit-filled, huge-ass kennel where they have lots of toys, lots of hugs and lots of friends... *sniffles*

1 comment:

Ignorant one said...

actually i think its not just dogs, but other pets too.. for me its rabbits and hamsters. I hold strong bonds with them that I keep talking to them and thought I could understand their language.

man, i still think i understand their language!