Some people find it surprising that I'm effectively bilingual. Hell... I find it amazing myself sometimes, seeing that I couldn't speak a word of Chinese when I started primary school!
My primary 1 Chinese teacher was this absolute WITCH called Madam Tan (May the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits!), who refused to believe that I couldn't understand what was being said in class. Instead, she saw my silence at her barked command to read from my textbook as a form of childish defiance. It also didn't help that she got my Chinese name wrong. I mean... I didn't even know she was speaking to me because the name she spat out wasn't mine! It wasn't until she stalked over, grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked that I realized who her attention was focused on.
Then... As poor little 6 year old me tried in a quavering voice to tell her that I couldn't understand her because I couldn't speak or read Chinese, she smacks me. Twice. Hard. (Owww...) Madam Tan then proceeded to drag me out of class... Down to the main school hall... Up onto the school stage... And made me stand there for the next half hour.
Can any of you remember how humiliating it was to be punished that way when you're 6? When all your friends are playing hopscotch or zero-point during their recess, and everyone just keeps staring at you becuase you're being disciplined in such a public manner? Plus it was only my 3rd day of school! I cried throughout the rest of my classes and all the way home... Needless to say, Chinese wasn't 1 of my favorite subjects henceforth.
My parents were kinda angry at what had happened, but I guess the both of them were more concerned about the potential damage my language deficiency would have on my future. As a result... 2 tutors were hired... Numerous assignment books were bought... My grades, however, didn't pick up much. The subject didn't rouse any interest in me, so I didn't bother very much.
Just how did I get from a borderline-failure to the Chinese-gibbering chick (Who, I am proud to say, got an A1 for her Cambridge O Level Chinese Examination! Wooohooo!) I've become? Heh... More on my addiction (And possibly my salvation!) in my next post. :)
Saturday, April 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment