I've reached the conclusion that I'm a bit of an oddball. I don't think I know a single other person in my social circle that shares my interest in the occult. By that I mean vampire lore, ancient legends and the like...
Now, I've grown use to being the only Buffy fanatic among my group of friends... However, once in a while, I just wish that the people around me knew a little bit more about things that go bump in the night...
Should you be wondering what sparked off this little rant, allow me to backtrack. Some time ago, while I was on my way up to KL, the movie "Van Helsing" was being shown in the coach. This sparked off a conversation between myself and my colleague Jasmine, which eventually led to me asking her the question - Do you know what werewolves are afraid of?
In the weeks since, I've thrown that query at so many people. Would you believe that only 2 people have given me the correct answer? *thumps chest in despair* The variety of responses I've received have left me feeling both amused and bewildered.
I mean... To me, it's common, everyday knowledge that werewolves fear silver, which is why the only way to kill them is to shoot them through the heart with a bullet made of good ol' 925. Others, however...
April: "What are werewolves afraid of?"
Jasmine: "Moon." (Wah piang! I... Errr... Wah piang!)
Jaime: "Gun?"
Kimmie: "I dunno leh."
Jac: "Silver." (Yeaaaaah! Sister of my soul!)
Bra: "Fire. I think."
Peilin: "Fire. Most animals are."
Brendan: "Water! Wolves are dogs, dogs hate water!" (Hahaha... Ok lah, Brendan actually knew the answer was silver and was trying to be funny. I just thought I'd post up his reply so you guys could have a giggle too...)
Stephie: "Errrms. No idea man. Some goondu probably said PIGS right?"
Marian: "Daylight! You never see them during the day what!" (That, my dear, is because werewolves only transform into beasts on nights where there's a full moon. The break of dawn sees them changing back into their human state. Doiiiiiii...)
Varien: The sun?
Debbie: "Moon!" (Kao... *bangs head on table*)
Guy: "Silver bullets." (Ok, I wouldn't call Guy a sister of my soul but I'm pretty impressed he knew the answer.)
My mom: "What's a werewolf? Not the same as vampire right?" (Sigh... I should have known better.)
Daphne: A cross? Waaaaait... No. Fire! (When I finally told her the answer, she went, "Chey... I thought of that!" Hyeaaaa right!)
Shauna: Sunlight. That's why they come out at night what! (No no no!)
Shauna: Try again. Errr... Garlic? Chinese vampires are afraid of garlic... (I give up. Truly.)
Wednesday, February 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
open to the floor!! what is april afraid of ???
I was talking to a friend, telling her that I had no idea where Stephie's comment "Some goondu probably said PIGS right?" came from. I mean, why the @#%!* would ANYONE say pigs?! Her response had me cracking up.
"Errrm... Muslim werewolves?"
By the way, no racist undertones intended. I reckon I'm just easily amused because it's awfully late and I'm awfully sleepy.
you know babe... we can't put werewolves into one generic groups. they all have individual personalities they all have different phobias and quirks. maybe some are immune to silver? maybe they've had their dna adjusted to be resistant to it. and somewhere along the line they mutated and are actually afraid of bacon and egg sandwiches which will cause them to die o fhigh cholestrol?
Yes. Uh huh. This coming from the werewolves expert who went "Gun?"...
sista! loaded gun will kill ANYTHING! :P
Post a Comment