Sunday, February 27, 2005

About The Hitch & The Salsa

THE HITCH - SATURDAY, 26 FEBRUARY

Jules and I were suppose to watch a movie at Great World City. Unfortunately, that silly woman didn't realize while booking the tickets online that they were for a Wednesday screening till after she'd made the purchase. So much for catching the latest Will Smith flick, since I seriously doubt I can make it for any social commitments this week...

Hitch (As defined on
http://www.dictionary.com)
v.
1. Slang - To marry. E.g. "They got hitched last month."
n.
2. An impediment or a delay. E.g. "A hitch in our plans."


Heh... I guess you could say that there was a hitch in us watching "Hitch". :P

We did, however, still head down to Great World to do a little shopping and to have dinner. I ended up buying a strapless dress from Zara (God knows where and when I'll ever have a chance to wear it...) and a pair of cargo capris from WH. Gack... I have gotta stop shopping for a little while. Been too extravagent these past few months...


----------

THE SALSA - SUNDAY, 27 FEBRUARY

Woke up late for an appointment with Marian to watch the dance musical "Lady Salsa". I rushed down to Victoria Theatre, where I was greatly entertained for the next 2 hours by over 20 dancers from Cuba as they mambo-ed, rhumba-ed and salsa-ed around on stage in a dazzling array of colourful costumes and latin music.




http://www.ladysalsa.com Posted by Hello

As I watched, I couldn't help but feel this twinge of envy for their rich heritage and their superb sense of rhythm. 1 of the narrators was a lady well into her 60s, but she was definitely holding her own, grooving and gyrating as much as the performers who were a third her age. I guess for these people, music is as much a part of their souls as dance is in their blood. Perhaps, with enough practise, anybody could execute the series of complicated dance steps they did. I doubt, however, that the passion would be as evident as it was on those Cubans' faces today.

Despite the unlikeliness that I'll ever be hailed as a Salsa sensation, I think I'm going to take up dance classes, and fulfill a dream I've had since I watched "Dirty Dancing" as a 9 year old girl. Anybody else interested? :)

2 comments:

missduhr said...

did i ever tell you i took salsa classes some years back? ;P

have fun!

Anonymous said...

You missed THE most important bit - the cute dancer who oozed so much sex appeal...drool drool...we both know we could not take our eyes off him the moment he came on stage...