Tuesday, January 25, 2005

About Joni Mitchell

Rows and flows of angel hair,
And ice cream castles in the air,
And feather canyons everywhere,
I've looked at clouds that way.
But now they only block the sun,
They rain and snow on everyone,
So many things I would have done,
But clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down and still somehow,
It's cloud's illusions I recall,
I really don't know clouds at all.

Moons and Junes and ferris wheels,
The dizzy dancing way that you feel,
As every fairy tale comes real,
I've looked at love that way.
But now it's just another show,
You leave 'em laughing when you go,
And if you care, don't let them know,
Don't give yourself away.

I've looked at love from both sides now,
From give and take and still somehow,
It's love's illusions I recall,
I really don't know love at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud,
To say "I love you" right out loud,
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds,
I've looked at life that way.
Oh but now old friends they're acting strange,
They shake their heads, they say I've changed,
Well something's lost, but something's gained,
In living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From win and lose and still somehow,
It's life's illusions I recall,
I really don't know life at all.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow,
It's life's illusions I recall,
I really don't know life at all.
-- Joni Mitchell
-- "Both Sides Now"

I've loved this song forever. I'm not sure what Joni Mitchell had in mind when she wrote it, but I've translated it in my own way.

I feel as if the words describe me. My cynicism about the world we're in. My fluctuating belief in the existence of true love. My innate need to put on a cavalier face for the rest of the world. And last but not least... My fervent hope that there's much more to life than I've already experienced.

Gosh... How heavy and depressing does that sound! I should get myself a new theme song. A chirpy, happy, annoyingly-catchy, bop bop number by Westlife or something. Heh... :P

1 comment:

missduhr said...

my ex-boyfriend introduced me to this song and i loved it ever since. he felt this song was quite positive and freeing. he identified with it cos he had come out of a bad relationship (sad side of love) but then he had met me (good side of love waahaahh) so he had experienced "both sides" of love so to speak.

of cos at that time he didn't know i was gonna leave him for daniel... but anyways...