Wednesday, January 19, 2005

About Real Love

"I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love."
-- Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie
-- SaTC - An American Girl in Paris (Part Deux)

I couldn't help but admire the way Carrie said that. Eyes wide open, arms akimbo, blurting it out as she stands in the middle of a Paris hotel room, as if it's the most natural thing in the world to be expecting in life. I mean... "Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love" sounds as likely to happen as a snowstorm in Singapore in the middle of July.

I'd like to think that I'm a little more realistic, that my expectations are a little more manageable. I'm not asking for undying avowals of everlasting passion. I don't need a guy to zip from New York to Paris, hunt me down and tell me that he wants to be with me for the rest of his life.

All I want at the moment can be summed up in this really old tune by England Dan and John Ford Coley. I've been listening to this on my iPod the whole damn day. *grin* (No snickering at the rather cheesy lyrics!)

I won't ask for promises, so you won't have to lie...
We've both played that game before, say I love you then say goodbye.
I'm not talking about moving in, and I don't want to change your life...
But there's a warm wind blowing, the stars are out...
And I'd really love to see you tonight.
-- England Dan and John Ford Coley
-- "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight"

1 comment:

missduhr said...

my dear... what i've learnt is that men change their minds in an instant. and they do not need to explain it. so you should tell them to F*** OFF cos you're worth more than that :D