Today, during lunch with Missdurh, I finally admitted why I'm staying on at a job I have no passion, slogging away, day after day, working on an account I have no affinity with.
It's not because I share Miss Bee's belief in what the job can be about. Yes, maybe advertising can do wonders for a brand but accounts in which you truly get to see that happen are as rare as hen's teeth. More often than not, I think we just end up in a "same-shit-different-day" situation, no matter which agency we work on or which client we service.
So why do I stay on? Simple. I don't want to leave until I figure out what the hell I want to do next. I'm pretty sure I want out of agency life. As a matter of fact, that's all I'm sure about at this point!
Add in the fact that I currently have a secure, relatively well-paying job that I know I can do well in if I put my mind to it... Compare that to the big unknown I'll be facing if I up and quit... Factor in the many financial responsibilities I have and the kind of lifestyle I'm use to living... And you'll get an inkling of why I'm stuck.
People are always telling me that I should just look at what my passion in life is and work things out from there. Maybe this makes me a lukewarm, insipid drifter, but I can't honestly say that I'm particularly passionate about anything. Neither do I have big aspirations, i.e. I've never been the sort to want to make a difference in the world, help needy children or find a cure for cancer. Which makes this whole "base your life's dreams on your passion" business a serious pain in the ass...
Maybe the answer will come to me if I'm not so bogged down with the daily grind of a job. Maybe I'll get a sudden epiphany when I'm not so burnt out with work. Maybe the solution is to quit 1st and not worry about what's going to happen later on. Maybe maybe maybe...
I hate maybes. Goddamn it.
Friday, June 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
was in the same crappy situation as you... & I decided that I wun take any shit no more... so I QUIT... wahahaha... but then... the downside is i can't do as much shopping while looking for a new job first... :p
Post a Comment