Monday, October 10, 2005

About The Sub-Performance

Note to self: When you've hit rock bottom at work, take heart. In most cases, it can't get any worse.

Haaaaaaaaa... What a fucking load of bullshit. In my experience, when work gets really crappy, the only thing you can really count on, is it getting even crappier. And I'm talking about kick-in-the-nuts, fly-in-your-soup, punch-in-the-teeth sort of crappy.

I've recently been told that my performance at work has been, well, mediocre at best. If a lack of enthusiasm and drive translates into me (I believe the term used) "sub-performing", I admit it... I've not been giving 100% to the job. I've not been able to muster up any form of excitement towards any of the projects I've recently had to handle. The reasons for which are so numerous I barely know where to start listing them down.

In a nutshell? It boils down to 3 main issues.

1) We've had a whole slew of resignations in the past half a year - a total of 9 people resigning in the last 6 months. Which basically means more work for the rest of us. My portfolio has recently been expanded to include 2 new sets of clients, neither of which are a walk in the park to deal with. All this done without what I deem as the appropriate monetary incentives.

The result? Morale for account servicing is at an all time low. And I'm talking below-the-18-levels-of-hell kind of low.

2) The Boss has been in an extremely foul and volatile mood. We're not sure if it's because of an excessive amount of work on The Boss's plate, or if The Boss is simply becoming more bad-tempered and absent-minded as the year draws to an end. Imagine a ticking bomb with a very forgetful / irrational detonation device... Not the best illustration I know but you get the picture.

The result? We're constantly walking around on eggshells, which gets pretty exhausting when you have to do it on a daily basis.

3) Client demands and deadlines have been getting more unreasonable by the week. Bending over backwards doesn't seem to be enough anymore... We now have to be able to twist ourselves into goddamn preztels, just so the clients get whatever the hell they want, when they want. Without any form of thanks or appreciation whatsoever.

The result? A severe lack of interest in any new client creative brief that's sent across. Hell, I've gone for fucking root canals with more eagerness!

4) I have personal issues. Life outside of work hasn't been all that hot recently... It's hard to beam and bounce around in the office when it feels like you're being ripped to pieces on the inside.

So there you have it.

Me = No zest for work = Sub-performing (in a particular person's opinion at least).

I should clarify that other than a pronounced absence of enthusiasm, I've not been slipshod at my job - all my deadlines are met, all my paperwork is done, all my obligations fulfilled... Which is why the "sub-performing" statement pissed me off some. Ok. It pissed me off a lot.

As long as I deliver what I'm suppose to, when I'm suppose to, why should anything else be a fucking problem?!

Oh. And if it really bugs them, here's a simple, short-term solution. Damn red tape to hell and give me the fucking increment I deserve goddamit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do sound like you are in a whole world of shit... but hang in there... i believe someone of your tenacity will get out of it just fine... HANG!!! :)

bee said...

hey, totally understand what you mean. you put in your best despite all that shit and yet get fucking "reviews". good lord, why are we still in this industry then?

*sigh*

missduhr said...

i know i can't say much to make you feel better babe. but you and i both know that you work hard and you are good at what you do. so NEVER let yourself feel otherwise, no matter what others say or do.

at work, i felt crappy, completely unmotivated and as you know i couldn't stand you-know-who. instead of being brave and bucking up and trying to deal with this adversity, i chose to resign. and i believe i made the right decision. some battles can't be fought, let alone won.

you are free to make your choice.

*HUGS*

April said...

Leonard - And how would you know about the kind of tenacity I have? Heh... I'm hanging, I'm hanging... By a goddamn thread but at least I'm hanging! :)

Midnight - You sound annoyingly like an eternal optimist. Haha... I, on the other hand, prefer wallowing in angst and mounting frustration. It's so much more poetic. *snigger*

Bee - I believe that we're all innately warped. We've been brain-fucked so bad we actually secretly enjoy all the shit that happens to us. H'yeaaaaaaaa right. Bleah.

Missduhr - Who the hell wants to be brave?! Hahaha... It's just a bloody job man... When the going gets tough, the tough does NOT get going, especially when the tough is NOT appreciated. The tough should be smart and walk right out the fucking door.