Friday, January 06, 2006

About The Holiday Recap

1st post of 2006...

It's been sort of crazy so far and I'm kinda exhausted. 3 days into the work week, and I can't seem to get back into the swing of things. Which is bad seeing that I have so much work piled up on my desk, it's a wonder my papers haven't toppled over to drown me where I sit. I've been working late every damn night, but it doesn't seem to end...

On a brighter note, I had a good break over X'mas and the New Year holidays. I spent time with friends and loved ones, slept in till ungodly hours and ate like a pig.

The Stiletto and I had initially agreed that we wouldn't spend any money on each other for X'mas. Which, in my book at least, meant that we wouldn't bother killing ourselves fighting with the crowds in town to shop for each other's gift. Then... barely 2 days before X'mas, he announces that he needs to run some errands, 1 of which was picking up my gift.

I was totally annoyed... Both at the fact that he'd broken the "no-spend" rule and at the thought that I had to eke time out of my crazy schedule to go shopping too. He was adamant that he hadn't spent a cent... (Not that I believed him, of course. :P)

The annoyance, however, didn't stand a chance once I opened the pretty embroidered bag he handed to me on X'mas eve... And pulled out a gorgeous mosaic tile mirror with my initials on it that he'd made himself at a friend's shop.


Apparently, he'd spent every lunch hour over the last week working on having it ready by X'mas. At the risk of sounding like a gushing, simpering twit, I'll be frank and admit that I melted like an ice cream cone left out in the sun. :)

Oh. I ended up getting him a wallet from Hugo Boss. (So much for the "no-spend" rule, eh?) Of course, it being me, even that wasn't without it's fair share of theatrics... There was a Mainland Chinese woman before me at the counter, and she ended up walking off with my parcel. Unfortunately, in my mad rush to get back to work, I didn't realise what had happened till The Stiletto opened up the bag the following night and pulled out a pair of cufflinks!

Thank god Hugo Boss was able to replace it... I later found out from a friend who works at the store that the cufflinks were worth only a third of what the wallet cost. So no surprises that the bloody MIC cow didn't bother coming back to rectify her mistake...

X'mas eve was spent gorging myself silly at home before getting all tiddly at Zouk with The Stiletto, PL and S... I then stayed over at his place for the 1st time. Heh... 1 small step for me, 1 big step for... :P

NYE, unfortunately, was a bit of a fiasco. Dinner at my place was good. (The gang and I stuffed out faces with my maid's excellent chicken rice and roast pork.) It was what happened after that was the major letdown. You'd think I would've learned my lesson by now and avoid any club or pub on the 31st of December. I haven't. We spent the countdown at a friend's place watching ships fire red and yellow flares into the night sky before heading down to the madhouse known as Velvet.

Big mistake.

All of us were still stone cold sober at 3am, and thoroughly pissed off with getting shoved around and stomped on. 4am saw us at Balestier's Boon Tong Kee, wolfing down deep fried tofu and more chicken rice.

Fast forward to 1 January. The Stiletto had offered to cook me my favorite pasta dish. When a man (Who claims to be a great cook!) offers to do both the cooking and cleaning up, how could any girl of sane mind say no? Deciding to "spread the wealth", I asked E, PL and S over as well for a few rounds of mahjong while we ate. The aglio olio was fantastic, the mahjong wasn't. (Yes, yes, I lost money... *grumbles*) ;)

Oops. I just looked at my room clock. I'm going to be late for work. Gotta run.

3 comments:

Slinky said...

Wah, your Stiletto rocks! Can your Stiletto and my Boy get together and exchange notes? Heh.

April said...

Haha... Sure. I'm sure The Boy has tons of tips that could be of use to The Stiletto. *grin*

Btw, not sure if you saw my reply to 1 of your earlier comments, but The Stiletto's become quite a fan of your blog. Heh... ;)

April said...

Heh... I doubt they could seriously snook us that badly. Not cos they're dumb or anything... More cos we're so brilliant, gorgeous, worldly and sophisticated. :P

As for my spelling skills, if it's any comfort at all, I keep typing the damn word as "Stilletto" and "Stilttoe".

Btw, you keep talking about your upcoming departure on your blog... Which part of Oz are you heading to and when exactly are you leaving? Oh... And you have seen how I've linked you, yes? ;)